Monday, November 24, 2014

Week 14: Famous Last Words -- Pre-Thanksgiving

So I know it's almost Thanksgiving Break -- thank God, right? It's such a relief to finally get away from school and sit with your family and flat out relax with them. Well, at least that's what I'm going to be doing. It's what I've done for my entire life.

And let's not forget the food. The delicious turkey and gravy and mashed potatoes and so on... ahhh, I simply love food. Plus, since my Indian family we're talking about, we generally make the food super spicy. Which is awesome.

You might be wondering whether we eat a traditional American dinner or a traditional Indian dinner during Thanksgiving, and the answer is quite simply: yes. We actually do both, in that there is a giant turkey sitting in the middle of our table that we hungrily tear (kidding, we just pass it around) at when the food is set and everything, but there are still traditional Indian components such as rice (like lemon rice) or pachadi (that weird, liquidy spice made from pickled vegetables; I swear it's a thing).

Aside from the delicious food, our family usually comes over. Most of my extended family doesn't live in Wichita; they're actually pretty scattered from the east to west coast. But it's true that my maternal grandparents as well as my uncle and aunt (great-uncle and aunt, technically) both live about five to ten minutes away from us. So naturally we spend Thanksgiving together.

But this year my aunt and uncle's two kids aren't going be spending Thanksgiving with us -- one is in dental school while the other one is married and I believe spending Thanksgiving with her spouse's parents -- so it's probably going to be a pretty quiet (or maybe better said, a quieter) Thanksgiving. All the adults do is watch Hindi/Telugu movies; contrary to popular belief, there are actually some good Bollywood/Tollywood movies, but I'll admit that many have cheesy plots and ridiculously fake fight scenes.

Anyways, I'm excited for Thanksgiving! It's going to be a blast!

Turkey
(aka one of the many poor suckers about to be eaten a couple days from now)

No comments:

Post a Comment