Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Week 15: About the Reading

General Questions:
As the start of the wrap-up week, feedback for the class is useful to the teacher. So here's mine.

As a matter of fact, I thought that the way the reading was set up was well done. I liked that there were a bunch of options to choose from each week, and that the reading units for the two weeks within the same block didn't have to be related to each other at all. You could pick Japanese Mythology one week and Tales from the Congo the next. Overall, my suggestion for the readings would be: keep the system the same. Or similar to how it was this year. I guess you could tweak it, but I don't really have any suggestions as to how.

For the reading diary, I basically used the same strategy I had for most weeks. I would summarize the set of stories that went together, often inserting my own commentary on the characters or the plot, particularly if something surprised or impressed me. I had another strategy, however, that I used for one week. I did that reading diary by characters rather than stories and commented on the motivations and logic of the characters.

As for the class overall, I thought there was a good balance between the reading/writing/commenting. Although there wasn't technically as much time spent on reading than there was on writing and commenting (2 days vs every day), there was a lot of reading to do, and it gave a very balanced workload in all three aspects.

As for an extra credit reading diary assignment? Well...you can create it if you want to. To be honest, the class is fair enough as it is, with the multiple chances of getting extra credit in other areas. From a student's standpoint -- particularly if you want to make them super happy -- go for it. Extra credit is always a great option, so for future students I wouldn't say no to that.

My biggest advice to students would be: work ahead. A lot ahead. And even if you are super ahead (i.e., like a couple of weeks ahead) don't let the weeks catch up to you. Instead, keep creating blog posts so that you stay ahead. My second piece of advice would be to do the extra credit. Even on the first week and even if you don't think you need it. Because if there is a time when you do need it, you're going to be sorry for the missed opportunity.


Specific Questions:
I think the notes in the reading units are helpful as they are. To be honest, sometimes I look at them and sometimes I don't, depending on the particular story I'm reading. In other words, I don't really think you need to add anything more to the notes.

I actually think that introductions to the readings would be an extremely useful addition to the reading units. That way the student could get a taste of what the reading unit is like and whether they want to read it without having to read a full story.

No, the images aren't extremely important to the reading units. What images you have provided within the reading unit are nice, but you don't really need anymore. If anything, I would put this aspect of the reading unit as your last priority in terms of improving things.

Well...I would say to extend the Middle East unit to two weeks. I say this because the Middle East is extremely culturally diverse; ancient Egypt, Arabia, and Georgia may have been located around same area, but they have very different identities as nations. I feel that only giving this region one unit is a loss. Also, I think you should add the Epic of Gilgamesh as a reading unit, since it's interesting.

Anthology units would be interesting! Here are a couple of themes I would suggest: epics, folktales, origin stories, and animal tales. That's really all I can think of, aside from the ones you suggested when you asked the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment