Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Course Overview


Interesting Reading Units

Cupid and Psyche
I love magic, and it interested me to see the god Cupid as one of the romantic leads in a love story, when he’s known as a creator of many. And I can’t resist a good fairytale.


Turkish Fairy Tales
I think what I liked about this was that the stories were strange, but in a new perspective sort of way. Who goes looking for Fear? But it shows us important lessons about human nature.


Twenty-two Goblins
I think what compelled me to look at this unit was that it shows the logic specific to a certain culture regarding societal values. Which will the King pick to satisfy the Goblin? The tales say a lot about ancient Indian culture.


Sun-Ku Wong
This reading unit interested me because of Sun-Ku Wong’s connection to the Hindu god Hanuman, whose stories I grew up with. Plus, I’m curious about Chinese mythology and culture.  


Fairee Queen: Britomart

I must admit that gender-bender characters do intrigue me because of how they break the gender barrier, so this reading unit is perfect to explore that. I also love comedy, especially when paired with fantasy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment