Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Favorite Places



Hawaii (specifically, the island of Oahu)

I've only ever been here once, but I fell in love with it. For starters, I'm partial to beaches: the combination of soft sand, warm sun, and clear blue ocean will always appeal to me. But I think why I liked Hawaii in particular was because of its environment. I'm not talking about the perfect temperature (in the high seventies all the time) or the exoticness of the place, though both reasons add to Hawaii's appeal. Instead, it's the calmness that's spread throughout the land, the sort of easiness you don't see in the city but see in the country.





Avatar the Last Airbender's World
(Source)

Okay, this is completely the nerd talking in me, but if I had another favorite place to choose, it would definitely be the world of Avatar the Last Airbender. Although the entire world isn't explored by the show, what is revealed in detail is an interesting and complex society with a variety of cultures. To top it all off, this world contains fantastical qualities, in that some people can manipulate the elements and there are dragons.





Library (specifically the Abbey Library in St. Florian, Austria)
(Photo by Cristoph Seelbach)

And, last but not least, a library. Hey, the assignment said place. And what better place than the one with thousands of places inside it?







1 comment:

  1. Hawaii is an AMAZING place, Lakshmi - and what a lovely picture. I lived in Hawaii when I was a freshman in high school (my dad had a temporary job there), and I have some great memories. Are you interested in maybe doing a Hawaiian project for this class? You can find some wonderful Hawaiian story resources at Sacred Texts Archive:Sacred Texts Archive: Hawaii
    I can imagine a Storybook project with a magical library and dragons and Hawaii... anything you can dream up with the old stories, transforming the old stories into something new! :-)

    ReplyDelete