Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 4: Storytelling -- The Ballad of the Giant


The Giant (From the Third Voyage of Sindbad)
(Source: Wikimedia Commons)
With these ears of mine
That are elephant-like
I heard a disturbance
I came with a spike

I went to the courtyard
To there I ran fast
And opened the gates
And I saw there at last

A feast in the making
Two dozen men dead
Who sat on my doorstep
And to myself, I said

What a glorious thing!
I don't need to hunt
My meal came to me
Though these humans are runts

And just to be cautious
I'll sit here and wait
And if one of them stirs
He'll have an unlucky fate

So I sat there and waited
But none of them moved
So I looked at the fattest
And thought: he's the one I'll choose

Twice more passed my evenings
With cooked human flesh
But things changed on the fourth night
My food wasn't dead

How it burned! The hot poker
That they stabbed in my eye
I roared and I screamed
Then promptly dragged myself outside

I would get my revenge!
And I planned to get it soon
Though now I howled in pain
In the morning they’d lose

Those fools didn’t know
That although I was blind
I had help in the mountains
My kindred; my kind

I ran as fast as I could
Though I tripped and I stumbled
But who wouldn’t, blind?
Within this island’s jungle

Since my eyesight was lost
I used my nose and my ears
To steer through the thicket
While the pain caused me tears

I knew I was close
When the voices I heard
Of my brothers and sisters
Were easily discerned

Joy leapt in my heart
And I called to them in a shout
Come avenge me, my friends
Let’s wipe those humans out

Look what they did
To my poor, single eye
They’ll drown in the ocean
They pay for their crime

And though I can’t see
My hearing is clear
So while you attack in my name
Force out their cries of fear

Lead me to those vile creatures
Lead me near, close to the fight
Let me hear their voices pained
Let me feel their terrible fright

Time seemed long in my anger
But soon they said it was time
To strike at those humans
In the morning light

And so we set out
My comrades and I
To one edge of island
Where the humans would die

I soon smelled the sea salt
Felt the sand in my toes
Heard my kindred ahead
Throwing rocks with loud bellows

There! The many, satisfying crunches
Of tiny, crushed bones
That sounded my way
I laughed at the destruction sown



Author's Note

This was based on the Third Voyage in The Voyages of Sindbad. Since each voyage of Sindbad's is told by Sindbad himself, I decided to change it from his perspective to a character in this particular voyage: the giant that tries to eat (and later destroy) Sindbad and his companions. The giant isn't a particularly complex character or anything, but I decided it would be interesting to see what happened from his perspective. As for the poem...I was in the mood to write poetry rather than prose.  

And if you're wondering what happened, Sindbad didn't die. In the scene, Sindbad's entire crew tries to escape the giants in rafts, but the giants (who happen to have really good aim) sink all the rafts with rocks except the raft Sindbad is in (with two other people). And although that's the last of their run-in with the giants, the third voyage doesn't actually stop there. They end up running into a man-eating snake; Sindbad's the only person to survive the encounter, however.

Bibliography:
The Voyages of Sindbad by Andrew Lang (1898). Web Source: The Arabian Nights Entertainment

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting way of retelling this story. I love when people write their storytellings in poem form. Although I am not talented enough to write poetry, I think it makes the story more enjoyable to read in this format. I also like that you changed the perspective from Sinbad to the giant. The image also goes great with the story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakhshmi,
    What an excellent way to retell the story. Not only did you flip it around by telling it from the giant's viewpoint, but you went the extra mile to tell it in rhyming verse! That takes some great creativity to be "in the mood to write poetry."
    The story reminds me a lot of Homer's Odyssey when Odysseus had his run in with the Cyclops, but manages to escape.

    ReplyDelete